Saturday, December 09, 2006

What about this medicine?
I remember the year 2002, I was in my 3rd year in med school. Yes I remember, my class was preparing for the 2nd in-course exam in biochemistry and I fell ill. Ha! That was it, I had already sunk my first in-course in the mud, this is the one I was banking on; to get myself out of the doldrums, and alas I became ill. Fever, headache, joint pains, anorexia and vomiting, it was like the world was collapsing on my shoulders.
I thought I will be back on my feet within twenty four hours, but no! I was still laying on my bed shivering, teeth chattering; can you believe this- I was still reading, preparing for this so called in-course. I had taken antipyretics and antimalaria drugs, I was still anorexic yet burning up the glucose reserve very fast. I wasn’t ready for any form of hospitalization. Twenty-four hours to the test, I was still under the cover of my duvet, sweating profusely.
The night before the in-course, my fellow discussion group members moved the discussion to my room; while one was tepid sponging me, another was calling out to me intermittently to see if I was still very much conscious.
I ask myself today -four years after- why did I take such risk. Why didn’t it ever cross my mind, I could simply die? I mean what is it with this medicine?
What is it?

1 comment:

'Fiyinfolu said...

I wonder myself o. What is it with medicine sef?